30 October, 2008

the barber shop

so i decided to clean myself up before surgery and get my hair cut at the barber's instead of doing it myself like i usually do. i don't think i do such a bad job, but i definitely look a lot more cleaned up when i go to the barber's. so the last time i was at a barber shop (last fall) the barber told me he couldn't cut my hair because i appeared female to him. i completely wasn't expected that reply and told him i simply wanted a hair cut, he kept refusing, so i left - hurt and angry. so that incident is the one of the main reasons i took to cutting my own hair and also that it's way cheaper to buy a pair of clippers than to go to the barber's once a month.

so i went tuesday and was super nervous. i was afraid that the barber would perceive me as female and get angry or confused or something as to why i was there - especially now because i've been on a low dose and no dose of t for the past month and my facial hair hasn't been growing as face and my voice is getting a bit higher. but it was totally cool. the shop was totally old school and the barber was nice. i was just so nervous i didn't know if i should talk and what i should have said. regardless, i got a sweet haircut for $14.

finally got all of my surgery paperwork squared away. i don't know what took so long, but my doctor's office here was having trouble faxing the paperwork to dr.fischer...and for some reason that took two weeks. but i just called and everything is all set - sweeeet. i'll definitely post an update before my surgery on tuesday.

peace,
luke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been casually reading your blog for a while, since finding it on eliot's. [handshake]

I picked a new hairdresser when I started transition, sat down in his chair and told him exactly what was going on. He's been great, and an important part of my transition (since I seem to need a haircut every 6 weeks or so!)

You've got surgery with Dr. Fischer next week! You must be super stoked, congratulations! I don't know if this will apply to you or not, but Dr. Fischer has a special running for November. It's word of mouth so I don't know if posting it here is OK or not. Hopefully, you've been able to take advantage of this! If you're not aware of it, drop me an email and I'll give you the info.

Good luck! Looking forward to your post-op posts.